Packing the living room is probably more complicated than any other room in the house since we usually keep a wide variety of items there. This is the space where we spend most of the time, so there we have different electronics, fragile objects, and large furniture.
Therefore, when packing this room, you need to be careful. All these belongings need to be organised and packed well to avoid getting damaged.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of moving tips that will help you easily pack your living room and keep your valuables safe:
Before you start packing your furniture, make sure you purchase packing supplies in advance. Get a plastic stretch wrap, packing tape, bubble wrap, furniture blankets, and everything else you believe is necessary
Here is how to pack the furniture in your living room:
- Chairs, sofas, upholstered pieces. These are one of the most difficult things to pack and move. First, disassemble everything you can and then shrink-wrap it to keep it dirt free. You can pack things like pillows and cushions in moving boxes.
- TV stand. When you move a tv stand, make sure it is empty, and start by removing the doors. Then, remove the screws that hold the hinges and put both of them in a plastic bag. Finally, use bubble wrap and packing paper for the doors in order to keep them protected. Repeat the same process with the shelves.
- Tables. To pack a table, first, you need to remove the legs. After you disassemble them, wrap each of them with bubble wrap and the table leaf with moving blanket.
You can either follow these moving tips to pack your living room, or you can always count on the help of a moving company and move stress-free.
Before you prepare your rugs for moving, you should clean them. You can either vacuum them or even better, have them cleaned by a professional cleaning company. Once they are clean, it is time for packing.
Turn them upside down and roll them up. Then, tie them on both ends. This will prevent them from unfolding during transport.
When packing electronics, it is the best if you put them in the original boxes you purchased them. However, if you don’t keep them, then contact the local professional movers and ask what boxes they can offer you.
Once you have all the moving and packing supplies, follow these steps:
- Unplug the electronics and clean them. Then, wrap the wires and use twist ties to secure them.
- Always put the heaviest and largest electronics on the bottom and then put the lighter ones. Add anti-static material to fill empty space.
- Wrap large items such as computer or TV screens with a towel or other moving layer and bubble wrap.
- When you place everything in the boxes, label them and mark them fragile.
When it comes to electronics, among the other moving tips, we have to mention taking pictures of the devices before unplugging them. This will help you stay organised and easily plug them back in.
4. Fragile Items
The living room is the place where the most fragile items are kept. And, these are the things you need to be most careful with. Follow these moving tips for packing your valuables:
- Mirrors and pictures. Small mirrors and pictures should be wrapped with bubble wrap and put in a box. Large mirror and pictures, on the other hand, require extra layers. First, wrap them with bubble wrap. Then, have two pieces of cardboard and cover both sides of the mirrors/pictures. For the edges, cut small pieces and secure everything with tape. Next, wrap them with a cloth and again secure them with tape.
- Small, fragile items. Wrap small valuable such as small decorative items with bubble wrap and place them in a box. Have it lined with paper, and make sure you fill empty space with more crumpled paper.
- Lamps. First, you should disassemble them. Then, place the bases in a box and put crumpled paper around to keep them safe. For the shades, use moving boxes that are larger than the shade themselves, and line the sides with paper. Don’t forget to secure the boxes with tape.
Once packed, mark these things as fragile so that you and those helping you know to be careful when lifting and putting them in the vehicle.
5. Loading Your Moving Vehicle
Last but not least, let us share a few moving tips on loading the vehicle you will use for transport. Consider the following things:
- Make sure the weight of the furniture is evenly distributed. It will make the drive much easier. Moreover, put the things that are heaviest on the sides of the vehicle. It will give you better access for loading and unloading.
- Place the sofas vertically to save on space.
- Put fragile things between your soft belongings to ensure they stay safe.
Be careful with the lifting and don’t hesitate to ask for the help of your family or friends.
Follow These Moving Tips And Pack Your Living Room Successfully
Packing, lifting, transporting…the moving process requires a lot of time and effort, especially when it comes to packing the living room. By following our moving tips, you will go through this process easier and keep your valuables safe.
Before you start, make sure you collect or purchase packing supplies first. Vantastic Removals offers moving services and has storage with different packing materials as well. Don’t hesitate to ask for help and feel free to contact us for a free quote or any other info.