19 Oct Moving Abroad: Help and Advice
Moving abroad should be the most exciting time that you are eagerly looking forward to. However, it can sometimes cause stress when not done right. The challenge comes when you need to pack all your things… so you need to be carefully prepared and pack smart.
We are not saying that you should take nothing but clothes, but think about it: Do you need every single thing?
Probably you don’t. It simply isn’t practical nor logical.
Here in this article, we decided to help you with what to take, what to toss and what to store when moving abroad.
What to Take When Moving Abroad
When thinking about which items you should take with you when moving abroad, first make a small research. This means finding out whether shipping your things will cost you more than actually replacing them with new ones when you arrive in your new country.
Traveling with only the necessary things can decrease stress and make the packing and moving process much easier and quicker. You might even consider packing yourself as if you are going on holiday. Throw everything that you don’t actually need.
- Clothes- Of course you will want to take all of your clothes. But it might be a good idea to assess your wardrobe and decide what you genuinely need and what you don’t. Don’t forget to take in mind the climate in the country you are moving to. If it’s somewhere warm, do you really need those snow boots or sweaters? The best option is to take with you what you need for the first couple of months. Once you settle with a new job, you can afford to buy yourself some new clothes. To save space, use a vacuum.
- Gadgets and electronics– Gadgets? Probably the most important thing to you. Can you imagine moving abroad and not having them with you? Of course, you will want to take your phone and laptop with you. Make sure you back up all important documents and content on your laptop, in case it gets lost or damaged. Also, it would be a good idea to check that they are compatible with the voltage output in your new country. It would be a pity to take them and not be able to use them.
- Sentimental items- When moving abroad, it can be hard to leave your sentimental items behind. There is no doubt that you wouldn’t want to leave your family heirlooms. So if you are moving permanently or for the long term, you will surely want to have them with you. For this reason, it might be better to consider a removal company to carefully and safely pack your things for shipping.
- Hobby items- If you are a passionate cyclist that can’t live without his bike, then you will surely want to take your bike. Moreover, if you are a guitar player, your guitar goes with you as well.
- Important documents- There is no question that you would need to take your valuable documents when moving abroad. Birth and marriage certificates, legal paperwork and insurance documents are a must take. It is better to take these documents somewhere near so that you can keep an eye on them, preferably in your hand luggage.
- Home comforts- When moving abroad, you probably won’t go shopping immediately, so taking your bedding or blankets can be a great idea. Make sure you vacuum pack to save space. Your new bed will be ready in just a few minutes when you arrive.
What to Toss When Moving Abroad
When moving abroad, you need to think of the things you no longer need. That means throwing a couple of items or giving them away to family members or friends…or even selling them. It can be challenging to decide which items to get rid of, so we suggest that you use the 6 months rule. If you haven’t used the item in the last 6 months, probably you won’t need them anyway.
We can help you decide what to give away, throw or sell:
- Items to sell (kitchen appliances, TV or Music players)
- Items to give away (books, clothes, shoes)
- Items to throw (broken items)
What to Put into Storage
When moving abroad, you don’t want to take all that heavy furniture with you. There is always a chance that you will come back. For this reason, storage can be a good option for all the items you can’t take. So, hiring a removal company that owns storage as well can be very convenient and cost-effective. Such items can be:
- Photo albums
We, at Vantastic Removals, can advise you on our storage solutions. We can assure you that you can trust us to move your valuable things when relocating. Get a free quote today!